For The Glaze:
2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, peeled and chopped
4 clove garlic, crushed
2 red chillies, finely chopped
2 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
1 tbsp runny honey
115 g dark brown sugar
100 ml dark soy sauce
600 ml tomato ketchup
a splash of rum
For the Kebabs:
500 g pork fillet, cut into 2 cm cubes
1 medium pepper (any colour), cut into cubes
12 mushrooms, cut in half
A handful of cherry tomatoes
1 red onion, cut into cubes
salt and ground pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, add the onion and garlic and fry until soft and translucent.
- Add the chilli, fennel seeds and sugar and cook, stirring often, until the sugar has melted.
- Add the soy sauce, honey, splash of rum and tomato ketchup.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for around 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Once cool, put the ¾ of the mixture into a freezer bag and add the cubed pork, squeeze the air out of the bag and seal it, and then push the pork around inside the bag until all the meat is covered, place in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours, overnight is best.
- An hour before cooking, soak the skewers in water.
- When you are ready to cook, skewer a piece of pork, pepper, and tomato, and then repeat until you are happy with the quantity. Repeat until all the ingredients have been used.
- Heat a griddle pan to medium, oil lightly.
- Grill, brushing occasionally with the left over mixture, until pork is cooked through and peppers begin to char, 10 to 15 minutes.
- The skewers are now ready to enjoy, serve with a salad or Rice & Peas.
- You can also use any mixture of vegetables, and also try different meats like Lamb & Chicken.
Get loads more BBQ recipes from Andy on his blog or find out what he's been up to on Twitter.