Dhruv joined us at our event 'An Evening of Flavour' in October and held a master class for our guests, this is the dish he created so you can try this at home!
2 x tbsp vegetable oil
1 x tbsp. ghee
2 x sprigs fresh curry leaves
1 x tsp black mustard seeds
½ x tsp fenugreek seeds
1 x onion finely chopped
1 x tsp ginger
½ x tsp chilli powder
1 x tsp coriander powder
1 x tsp turmeric powder
half a tin of tinned chopped tomatoes
100ml chicken or fish stock
1 x tsp tamarind paste
400ml coconut milk
Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and half the curry leaves and mustard seeds, the fenugreek seeds and ginger and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add onions and cook for 10 minutes or until they start to turn golden.
- Add the chilli powder, coriander and turmeric and stir-fry for a further minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes and the tamarind and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add stock and reduce by half.
- Add the prawns and cook for 5 minutes then reduce the heat and add the coconut milk, cook for a further 2-3 minutes and take off the heat.
- In a small pan heat the ghee and add the remaining curry leaves and mustard seeds, then tip the whole lot into the curry and stir through immediately.