For the Orange and Date Cake:
180 Butter or Margarine at room temperature
100g Light Brown sugar
50g Caster Sugar
3 Large eggs at room temperature
190g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
80g Chopped dates (coated in ½ tsp of flour)
Zest of 1 Orange
1 Tsp Orange Extract
For Vanilla Butter cream
100g Salted butter (room temperature)
200g Icing sugar
½ Tsp Vanilla bean paste
For sesame brittle:
50g Sesame seeds
115g Caster Sugar
- Pre heat oven to 180 degree C or 160 for fan assisted. Grease mini loaf tins with release spray (or you can line the tins).
- In a bowl cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, gradually add in one egg at a time beating well between each addition.
- Fold in the flour, chopped dates, orange zest and extract.
- Divide the mixture into the loaf tins.
- Place the tins onto a tray and bake in the oven for about 20-22 minutes. An inserted skewer should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tins for about 10 minutes before transferring onto wire rack to cool down completely.
- To make the icing, in a bowl add butter and beat for about 2 minutes until slightly creamy. Add sifted icing sugar and vanilla bean paste and beat until all the sugar is incorporated and the mixture is creamy and fluffy.
- To make the brittle, line a tray with baking paper and set aside. In a pan over low to medium heat roast the sesame seeds for 3-4 minutes, take care not to burn or they will taste bitter. Transfer into a bowl. Return the pan to heat, add in the caster sugar and on low heat allow the sugar to melt stirring in between to break down crystallised sugar. The sugar should melt and you should get caramel colour syrup, stir in the sesame seeds and quickly pour the mixture onto the lined tray. Spread the mixture by turning the tray side to side as you want snaps of sesame brittle. Leave to cool, once completely cool lift and snap into pieces.
- To assemble: Fit your piping bag with an open star nozzle and fill with vanilla butter cream. Pipe into the middle of the cake stars or shells and finish off with sesame brittle.