250g basmati rice
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, finely sliced
6 green cardamom pods
2 cinnamon sticks
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
really good pinch of quality saffron
good pinch of salt
small handful of dried fruit, I like cranberries, apricots and raisins
fresh coriander, for sprinkling
- Wash the rice in several changes of water and then leave to soak in a large bowl of cold water for around 30 minutes if you have time.
- Gently heat the oil in a large pan and sauté the onions with the cloves, green cardamom, cinnamon and cumin seeds for around 10 minutes until the onions are golden brown and caramelised.
- Strain the rice and stir into the pan with around ½ litre of boiling water.
- Stir through the saffron and salt and bring to the boil. The rice will have changed colour to a beautiful sunshine yellow and most of the water absorbed after around 5 minutes. Turn off the heat, stir through the dried fruit and pop a lid on and allow the rice to steam for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Taste and check the rice is cooked through and fluffy before serving it with a generous sprinkling of coriander.