Half a lamb shoulder
6 tbsp natural yoghurt
2 teaspoons Tikka spice mix
1 teaspoon beetroot powder
Squeeze of lemon juice
Salt and pepper
Note: This recipe requires a BBQ with a lid in order to slow cook your lamb.
You can cook this with a whole lamb shoulder, and will need to increase the cooking times accordingly if you do, but I went for the top half of the lamb shoulder,
- Score the skin side of the lamb should with a diamond pattern with a sharp knife. This will allow the marinade to get further in (it also looks pretty).
- Mix all of the other ingredients together in a bowl and spread over the lamb.
- Place the lamb in a plastic container or bag and leave in the fridge for 6 hours or overnight.
- Fire up your BBQ using good quality lumpwood charcoal to create a gentle heat (around 140c).
- Remove the lamb from the container, place it directly on the BBQ and close the lid. A lid is needed to cook a big chunk of meat like this.
- Cook the lamb slowly like this for around 5-6 hours, until the skin had crisped up, and the meat is tender and falling apart.
- Serve with pilau rice, sweet peppers seared over the coals, yoghurt, coriander and a lovely fruity chutney.
Get more recipes from Marcus on his blog or see what he's up to on Instagram.