An Indian dinner party is incomplete without a jazzed up rice dish as a centrepiece. Peas Pulao, or Mattar Pulao, is an easy one to whip up and you can simply add cubed carrots and beans to turn this into a vegetable pulao. I have used frozen peas for this, as shelling peas is never on the top of my priority list.
2 mugs of Basmati rice (about 500gm)
2 mug of frozen peas
4 inches cinnamon
2 star anise
4 tsp ginger paste
2 tbsp ghee
2 tsp salt
- Wash the rice well, drain and leave to sit, so it retains its shape well when cooking later. Fill the kettle and bring it to boil.
- In a pan, bring the ghee to heat on medium. As it sizzles on a wooden spoon, add the whole spices, and immediately add the ginger paste. Stir this for 30 seconds then spoon in the rice.
- Stir the rice, mixing it well into the ingredients, for about a minute until it turns a brighter shade of opaque white.
- Now, use the same tea mug to measure three and a half cups of hot water and add it to the rice. Also, stir through the peas and the salt gently. After this, you are not allowed to prod or poke the rice until it’s cooked and ready!
- Bring the rice back to the boil. When it does, lower the flame to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes. When the time is up, leave the rice to sit covered for another two minutes on a cold hob to finish cooking in its own steam.