Fresh and fragrant lemon rice cooked with nuts and lightly toasted spices.
A cracking South Indian dish great to eat on its own or as a side. There are so many different things you can do with rice, from cooking the rice with different ingredients as in a briyani or a pilau, or using left over rice and add some new simple flavours and textures to create an altogether new dish.
4 tbsp vegetable oil or 2tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
7-10 curry leaves
3 green chillies
1 tsp salt
½ tsp turmeric
2 tbsp peanuts or cashew nuts
200g Tilda Basmati rice
- Wash the rice until the water runs clear.
- In a wide based pan add the washed rice, pour in 500ml of water (twice the amount of water to rice). Bring the water to a rolling boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and place the lid on the pan. Leave to cook for 12 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, very gently fork through it and leave to cool.
- In a separate pan heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. As they begin to splutter add the peanuts or cashews and fry to a golden brown colour. Add the turmeric powder, the curry leaves, green chillies and salt - fry for a minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir into the rice.
- Squeeze in the juice from the lemon and mix through carefully until all the rice is beautifully bright yellow.