Get your kids cooking for Curry for Change with this child friendly recipe. Read more about how to get the whole family involved here.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Serves 4 - 6
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 small onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 50g creamed coconut, grated
- 400mls cold water
- 600g chicken breast/thigh, chopped into 3cm pieces
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onions in it along with the salt for 20 minutes, over a low heat, until really soft.
- Add the cumin, mustard seeds, ginger, garlic, cayenne and chilli, stir and fry for a further minute.
- Add the coconut cream (this comes in a block) and the water, turn up the heat and stir well.
- Add the chicken and simmer on a medium heat for 15 - 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has reduced a little.
- Serve with fluffy basmati rice or chapatis.
This recipe was kindly donated by Holly Bell. Find more Recipes from a Normal Mum on her website for more recipes, or find out what she's up to on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.