For the Cake:
200g of 75% Dark Chocolate
100g of Salted Butter
100g of Caster Sugar
6 Eggs Yolks & Whites separated
2 tbsp Vanilla Extract
For the Chai Custard:
3 Cups of Whole Milk
Chai Spices - 2 Cardamon Sticks, 1 Star Anise, 4 Cardamon Pods, Pinch of Cinnamon
3 cups of Caster Sugar
4 Egg Yolks
2 Tablespoons unsalted Butter
- Pre-Heat Oven to 180 degrees
- Break the chocolate into pieces and slowly melt in a bowl over hot water set aside to cool
- In a separate bowl mix the butter, sugar and egg whites
- Add in the cool chocolate
- Whisk up the egg whites until stiff peaks appear and add this straight into the butter, sugar and chocolate mix
- Mix it all together, pop it in a greased cake tin, whack it in the oven for 20-30 minutes
- Heat the milk in a saucepan until just boiling
- Add chai spices tea bag and let sit until for 5-10 minutes until spices have infused
- In a separate bowl whisk sugar, egg whites, egg yolks, and salt together in a bowl.
- Pour 1/3 the milk mixture into the egg mixture whisking until combined
- Pour egg-milk mixture back into saucepan with milk.
- Stir over a medium heat, stirring often until the milk thicken to you guessed it...custard!
- Finally pop in the butter into the custard until melted
- Wait for it to cool and serve with the flour less chocolate cake!
Tania is one half of the Supper Club - Chit Chaat Chai. Find out about their latest events on Twitter.