This perfect moist carrot cake can be served for elevenses, afternoon tea, as a dessert or simply with a cup of coffee.
170g Butter, softened
225g Soft Brown Sugar
2 Free Range Eggs, beaten
225g Plain Flour
1.5 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
0.5 tsp Baking Powder
225g Carrots, grated
1 tsp Ground Green Cardamom
100g Natco Green Raisins
45g Natco Almond Flakes
- Cream the butter and sugar until it is pale and creamy.
- Add the eggs a little at a time, until it is incorporated well.
- Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda, and baking powder.
- Fold all the dry ingredients into the egg mixture.
- Stir in the carrots, raisins and cardamom.
- Pour the cake batter into a greased 23cm springform cake tin. Level and sprinkle on the almond flakes.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 165 degrees (fan assisted), or equivalent.
- After 30 minutes, cover with foil and lower the temperature to 160 degrees (fan assisted), or equivalent.
- Bake for a further 10 minutes and check that the cake is cooked by inserting a skewer which should come out clean.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes in the tin before removing. After the cake has completely cooled, place onto a cake plate and serve.
- This cake is also delicious served warm with some orange cream.
CardaMUM aka Kiran Soni is a food blogger who specialises in India Food.
Find out more about her on her blog or see what she's been up to on Twitter.