200g ginger biscuits
½ tsp powdered ginger
75g melted butter
400g full-fat cream cheese
2 tbsp plain flour
175g caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract, or seeds from one vanilla pod
2 large eggs, plus 1 yolk
30g crystallised ginger, chopped finely
optional garnish - icing sugar and berries to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, fan oven at 160°C.
- Melt the butter in a small pan or the microwave. Crush the biscuits to a fine crumb either in a food processor using the pulse button or in a plastic bag with a rolling pin. Then mix with the powdered ginger for an extra kick. Pour in the butter and stir well to combine.
- Press the crumb into the base of a greased and lined loose-bottomed cake tin (20cm diameter). Bake the base in the oven for 5 minutes, remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Mix all the remaining ingredients except the crystallised ginger, ideally with an electric whisk or food mixer until very well combined and creamy. Pour carefully over the buttery biscuit base as the mixture is quite liquid and you don’t want to disturb the crumbs.
- Chop up the crystallised ginger finely, then scatter over the cheesecake mix so that it is evenly distributed.
- Bake the cheesecake for 35-40 minutes; check the bake after 35 minutes. It should be lightly golden on the top and be set around the edges but with a slight wobble in the centre. If it needs a little longer bake for a further 5 minutes. Allow to cool completely before serving.
- The cheesecake can be served just as it is, or to dress it up a little, sift some icing sugar over the top and decorate with berries such as strawberries, raspberries, blackberries or redcurrants.
Get more recipes and inspiration at sairahamilton.com. You can watch her cooking on YouTube and follow her on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
Saira’s book 'Kitchen favourites with Saira: Chilli, Ginger and Garlic' is now available to buy on Amazon.